It isn’t uncommon for an individual who has been involved in a car accident to suffer a traumatic brain injury, or TBI. Did you know that an estimated two million adults and children suffer a TBI each year in the U.S., many of which were involved in a car crash [Source: Mayfield Clinic]? While some suffer mild to moderate TBIs, others sustain severe injuries that will impact their life and livelihood.
If a loved one of yours suffered a TBI in a car crash that occurred in or nearby to Tampa, FL and you are looking to help them recover compensation that will make it easier for them to afford the medical care they now need, you’ve come to the right place. At Larson Johnson, P.L., we understand the devastating effects a TBI can have on a person’s life. Although there is no way to undo what has transpired, there are accommodations that can make life more manageable.
How do I recover compensation for a relative who suffered a TBI?
When an individual sustains a TBI as a result of a car collision, chances are they will confront medical and cognitive changes. These conditions not may not only require them to receive ongoing medical attention, but they may even need costly around-the-clock care. In an effort to help your loved one afford medical care from the best physicians, gain access to some of the best medical equipment available, and even help them manage their everyday challenges, we recommend you contact our office to speak with a Tampa, FL personal injury attorney.
Our experienced and skilled personal injury lawyers in Tampa can help.
Depending on the circumstances surrounding the incident, your loved one may be able to recover damages for past and future medical care, pain and suffering, mental anguish, etc. Florida law allows victims of car crashes to file suit against another party within four years from the date of the accident against the at-fault party, and five years for pursuing uninsured or underinsured motorists claims. Do not delay because evidence can be lost, witnesses can become unavailable, and investigation should be prompt and thorough. The lawyers at Larson Johnson, P.L. are skilled and experienced at handling cases involving TBIs.
It is extremely important that you are able to prove negligence and damages in a personal injury case which is why it is recommended you hire a personal injury attorney who has extensive experience with handling car crashes and TBI cases.
What is my loved one’s brain injury case worth?
While there is no set value for TBI cases, there are methods we use to determine what your loved one’s case is worth. Some of the factors we will use when valuing a TBI case include:
- How much your loved one has accrued in medical expenses.
- The cost of future medical care and treatment.
- How the TBI has impacted their life and enjoyment of life.
- In what ways has the TBI has interfered education and work?
- Whether the TBI has caused lost wages in the past and future.
- Past and future pain, suffering and mental anguish
What are some ways to avoid a TBI?
TBI’s are among some of the worst types of injuries a car accident victim can sustain so to help reduce the chances of anyone else in your family suffering one of these debilitating injuries, the Mayfield Clinic recommends you consider the following tips:
- “Always wear your helmet when riding a bicycle, motorcycle, skateboard, or all-terrain vehicle.”
- Never operate any type of vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Always wear your seat belt and take the time to be sure children are properly seat-belted.
- “Avoid falls in the home by keeping unsecured items off the floor, installing safety features such as non-slip mats in the bathtub, handrails on stairways, and keeping items off of stairs.”
- Engage in exercises that help increase strength, balance, and coordination.
- Store firearms in a locked cabinet and keep bullets in a separate location.
- Always wear protective headgear while playing sports, especially those that involve physical contact with others.
If you are ready to discuss your loved one’s case with one of our skilled Tampa, FL personal injury attorneys and find out how our team of legal experts can help them recover the maximum amount of compensation they are entitled to, contact us at 813-228-6688.
Larson Johnson, P.L. is located at:
2011 West Cleveland Street
Tampa, Florida 33606